Saturday, October 09, 2010

August 2010 Report

I'm gradually digging out of the financial mess that awaited me here in Australia. The most worrisome thing is that the US IRS is still pursuing me over my US 2008 tax return. I explained to them in my last letter that I was no longer resident in the US since mid 2007 and anyway my income in 2008 was so low that I wasn't liable for any tax here in Australia even. But they again sent me a new letter while I was away and claim their records show I have sufficient income to owe tax. I'm writing back and telling them to prepare the tax return as they see it so I can at least understand what their claim is. I hope I don't have to end up wasting money on a lawyer on this issue.

Anyway, I have now completed the August accounts:



Of course, we spent a pile of money travelling in Europe. Investment returns were negative. In USD terms they were -2.63% vs. -3.46% for the MSCI World Index. As the Australian Dollar lost a little value AUD returns were -1.07% (-1.90% in currency neutral terms). High spending and negative returns meant that, of course, net worth fell - by USD 12k or AUD 7k. September was a much more positive month as you'll see soon.

1 comment:

Clifford said...

Unfortunately if the government thinks you owe them 5 cents, they'll spend thousands to get it.